Shining Tea Room

Racinated clothing for the cold

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lynn Lynn 2 days, 13 hours ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Sanae
    Sanae
    Participant

Rayati, minasan,

I live in the north where it gets quite cold! As winter approaches, and the days of summery skirts and flowing tops go into hibernation, what is a maid to do with her clothing? As an Estrenne, I much prefer the old old styles like those in medieval or Renaissance Telluria, and even wide flowing dressy bifurcs with a beautiful tunic, as in some eastern Tellurian places, but when the weather turns snowy and the winds go bitterly stealing maids’ breaths from their cheeks, how does one keep warm?

I thought perhaps I might layer some of the more modern leggings under a skirt, as these things called “tights” do not much get along with my skin. But all my skirts tend to be summery as well! Any help that you might give is most welcome and appreciated.

Rayati and love,
    Sanae

Profile photo of Mei
    Mei
    Participant

Rayati!
    I, too, live in a very chilly place.
    Personally, I have taken to wearing a sort of compression nylon under my knee-length dresses. I am also Estrenne, but dressing as such could be taken very poorly in my culture, and I have yet to pluck up the courage to do so… So I often stick to 1950s style dresses, or even shift dresses reminiscent of the 1920s.

One absolutely adorable trend I have seen and made use of is that of knee-length cable knit socks. I purchased a few pairs and absolutely adore them. They are soft and warm, and so cute! They can be an easy way to keep one’s legs warm in the winters.

As well, there are many options for long woolen skirts (Anne of Green Gables style) that are gorgeous! I am looking into investing in a few.

Long sleeved blouses and/or cardigans are a maid’s best friend this season.

Best of luck to you in finding a warm and racinated way to dress! Please do try your hardest not to catch cold; it is far too easy to do so this season!

In amity,
    Mei

My racinated wardrobe is quite mada mada (not there yet) but I can relay a few basic principles to keeping warm in racinated clothing that West Telluria seems to have lost in recent years.

1. Thick stockings, good boots. Covering and keeping the feet dry does a lot towards keeping the rest of your legs warm. Cold toes are dangerous in winter!

2. Hats and gloves. A lot of heat escapes through any exposed part of the body, especially the head. A nice hat traps that heat in, and of course gloves help enormously.

3. Layers. Honestly, slips and petticoats are important! Even a thin skirt layered under another skirt will do you some good if you haven’t got a proper petticoat or slip. The idea is to create a sandwich that traps a cone of heat around you. Done properly, layered skirts and petticoats are warmer and more pleasant than bifurcs. Likewise, a proper coat over a sweater over a blouse over a camisole will do you more good than one of those puffy marshmallow things over a tea shirt – especially since part of the danger in cold weather is the sudden shock of abrupt temperature changes. Taking off one layer and still having a few is better for you.

4. Scarves and veils. Keep your neck and nose warm!

Lastly, may I recommend, of all things, Land’s End as a brand that still has blouses and sweaters that aren’t completely ridiculous? They even have a couple of longer skirts in a nice cut! Of course the things are relatively plain, and one must be choosy, but the odds are better than a lot of West Tellurian brands.

Profile photo of Lynn
    Lynn
    Participant

Rayati, mina-san!

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. In particular, I think I shall try out Rosamunda-chei’s petticoat suggestion, as I’ve always loved the look of that sort of silhouette.

If you don’t already own one, I’ve found ankle-length “peasant skirts” to be quite comfortable, while also very modest and feminine, and combined with some other layer underneath could be quite warm, I think. I wear them almost as a more racianated version of Tellurian “sweat pants”, to be honest. Though, I wouldn’t necessarily suggest them for working out in.

Stay warm, everyone!

In amity,

Lynn

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.