Shining Tea Room

Reclaiming the Hestia

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Cathryn MacKenna Cathryn MacKenna 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Honoured Miss Hildotter’s comment about housekeeping reminded me how nice it is to have a place to discuss the reracination or our homes, to share techniques and tip and celebrate our successes, big and small.

I’m also on the scattered side of blonde and have huge difficulty tackling large household projects. Just about the only way I can get the whole house presentable in a single day is to trick myself and make a game of it!

1. The first step is to dress for the occasion, so you won’t be tempted to do other things, and put on some lively music (I find up-to-date rags to be very invigorating).
    2. Then, draw up a chart of all the tasks that need to be done, but the order isn’t important–you’ll see why in a moment. Break every task into the smallest imaginable components until each mini-task feels quite easy to accomplish.
    3. Use a scissors to cut out each task, fold the slips in half, and pop them all into a bowl. Have a second bowl of small sweets (I like hard candies because they last while you’re working).
    4. Draw a task from the bowl and accomplish it immediately. As soon as you have, reward yourself with a sweet. The process may be a bit haphazard, but when you run out of slips you can be certain the house is clean!

Tip: When there’s a lot of laundry, for example, sometimes I’ll write a “fold three items” task and return it to the bowl until all the laundry is tackled.

Profile photo of Myriam Hildotter
    Myriam Hildotter
    Participant

Heee…I like your game, Miss Spurling!

I make use of a task management program, Toodledo.  I really like the name!  It allows for tasks to reset themselves on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis as the case may be.  Heee…I have even found a desktop interface for it that lets me have a theme with flowers and butterflies!  This helps me because I do not have to really think about what I need to do, but I can let my ordie tell me what to do!  This program is nice because it lets one also choose whether the task should be reset from the due date or the completion date…and it is very easy to change this setting as needed!

Sigh…speaking of tasklists…I better get on with my taskeries!  SW has been SO lively and interesting lately.  It is very exciting!

Toodledo sounds very useful! I think I should try to use it. Thank you so much for the tip!

Miss Spurling, this method sounds like so much fun! I think I’ll try it myself. I’m a brunette, but I do find myself easily overwhelmed by work that happens in the hestia – I have trouble even with studying at home. Something so lively and playful as this sounds ideal.

Profile photo of Cathryn MacKenna
    Cathryn MacKenna
    Participant

Miss Spurling, what a wonderful and fun idea for making my home clean and presentable!  Thank you so much for sharing.  I too am a blonde who struggles with keeping on top of household tasks without feeling overwhelmed.  I think I will give it a try this week!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.